The House of Representatives Association Against HIV/AIDS in Zanzibar is the Association of the House of Representatives Members with the aim of combating HIV/AIDS in Zanzibar.
The Common name of the Association is UWAKUZA, a non political party association which is composed by all Members who are willing to fight against HIV/AIDS in Zanzibar. It is non religious association that every Member is free to join. It is a voluntary association, that a Member is not bound to join, but preferably encouraged to be the members for the wellbeing of Zanzibar.
Historically, UWAKUZA was established on the rampant of HIV/AIDS in Zanzibar whereby the House of Representatives is significant pillar to fight it. It is the House that enacts the laws and oversights the government policies on how HIV/AIDS is dealt within the country.
VISIONTo make Members of the House of Representatives and Zanzibar society in general free from HIV/AIDS.
To Promote awareness of HIV/AIDS among Members of the House of Representatives of Zanzibar, that through the said awareness the Members would assist the society of Zanzibar on the best ways of combating HIV/AIDS in Zanzibar.
Aims and Objectives of UWAKUZA
- Ensuring that HIV/ AIDS is reduced in Zanzibar.
- Ensuring that elected Members from the constituencies help to convey the message of fighting against HIV / AIDS in their constituencies.
- Ensuring that the House of Representatives of Zanzibar enacts effective legislations in the fight against HIV / AIDS in Zanzibar.
- Ensuring the House of Representatives of Zanzibar participates in the anti-HIV/AIDS campaigns in Zanzibar.
- Ensuring that Members become role models in combating stigma against HIV / AIDS victims in Zanzibar.
- Collaborating with Government Institutions and Non-Governmental Organizations working on the same goals of fighting against HIV / AIDS in Zanzibar.
Leadership of UWAKUZA
Currently, the leadership positions of UWAKUZA are held by the following:
Chairperson: Hon. Shamata Shaame Khamis
Deputy Chairperson: Hon. Panya Ali Abdalla
Cashier: Hon. Mtumwa Peya Yussuf
UWAKUZA is assisted by the secretariat of the Office of the House of Representatives, and currently it is assisted by Madam Rahman Kombo Mgeni who serves as a Secretary of UWAKUZA.